Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Suess and Spring fever

This week started with a fun field trip with the Cat In The Hat!  Well, not really, but we did see "Seussical"! The musical is a fun romp through several Dr. Seuss classics, hosted by the Cat In The Hat.  My detail-oriented son (who I'll call "W") immediately noticed that the "Cat" on stage did not have a tail. I briefly thought of suggesting this was a Manx "Cat", but decided he wouldn't go for it. Instead, I explained that the actor didn't have one so he could move quickly across the stage -- which he was doing -- and W settled in to enjoy the show.
The play follows that lovable elephant, Horton, through adventures based on both "Horton Hears A Who" and "Horton Hatches An Egg", as well as characters and/or passages from "Oh, The Places You'll Go", "Yertle the Turtle  and Other Stories", "And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street", "How The Grinch Stole Christmas", "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" and several other stories. The cast closed with a musical number of "Green Eggs and Ham." Great fun for me and my a 6 year old son!  I caught more book references than him (mainly because I've been reading the stories for most of the last 6 years!), but he enjoyed all the characters and songs.

Our musical morning was followed by our homeschool Valentine's Day party at the library. My son is still going through his bag of Valentine's this morning! So far, he's shown me Sponge Bob, Hamm (from Toy Story), dogs, and even skeleton Valentine's.

The best part of this week will be the early Springtime temperatures. We enjoyed our first "family walk" of the year last weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting back outside. I think we'll have a nature study in the yard this week to see how many little green shoots are poking up through the ground. I saw some jonquils on Sunday, and am betting the warm weather will make crocus and other early Springtime flowers start sprouting! Since the butterfly bush needs pruning and some of the flowerbeds could use a little clearing, we'll move the "classroom" outside during part of the day and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air! Maybe I'll even let W take my digital camera and capture his perspective on Springtime!

Hope you get a chance to play in the sun this week, too!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment